Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A Little Begining of the Year Clean-Up

So a lot of these pictures are from a year or more ago....i was going to make a craft post about them, but never did, and they have been languishing in my pictures file ever since. I figure, hey, put them out now, then they will be out and up on the blog (FINALLY) and I won't have to keep them on my limited space laptop.(i want these photos, they just aren't ones i use or look at a lot, and i don't have room for pics like that. so, onto the internet they go!)

i made this book for my friend for her birthday a few years ago


this is from a tutorial from Flamingo Toes


i made a few of these....so much fun, and so pretty! this is from 100 Layer Cake

Not sure where i got this, but it was pretty simple: strip of paper, cut lines almost to the end, and then curl them, and wrap around wire.

This is from a tutorial from Karen Kavett. So much fun! this one was for one of my dance teachers.


I tried to spell out my name. D I T A....


Never made the 't' however.....so the other three letters are hidden away on a box I believe


I didn't make this,  but way cool, right?

So i have a collection of wine corks, and i didn't know what to make out of them. A few years ago, found something that inspired me to paint them and make ornaments!

Mrs. Claus

Penguins....made a few of these!

This was going to be a snowman, but i mesed up the dots and then they smeared so i added some more and smeared them and voila! Creepy skeleton

And here's a snowman

I can't find the link for this, but this and all the other card crafts are from a sleepover

It's a Bowtie!

And a notebook!

This is my Ravenclaw Christmas ball

Before the penguins got finished

Not sure what happened to this....I don't have it, adn i don't have any pics of it finished, nor do i remember giving it away. Hmm.

OOH! This was so much fun. i saw something, and i wanted one of my own. So I took way to long to make these (they are a bit time consuming, but worth it!)

I'd totally make these again though if someone wanted a tutorial.



Alright, so there's my jumbled mess of craft pics. I want to try and post here mre often. o can't really promise, but it'd be cool if maybe i could start updating on my film projects...i'm about to start a film class, so there should be plenty to write about. We'll see.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

So she got a present!

it was nearing Christmas, and i had no idea what to get my sister for a present.

finally, i asked her again what she wanted. and it hit me.

She loves 'The Fault In Our Stars' (so do I, but she's got me beat for sure as far as obssesive)


okay.



i did this stitch in red because it reminded me of the lines on hospital machines

i added some of my favorite quotes (which she loved) MY favorites because i could remember those

i used some star patterned fabric for the inside flaps

hand embroidered

My sister loves notebook covers.....and this way she can use it for years. I almost couldn't stand to part from it, it's so cool :) i'm very happy with the way it came out.

Friday, January 17, 2014

Erte, Franklin, and sewing.


So a while ago I was reading Franklin Habit's blog The Panopticon, and it was a certain post about some things and Erte, a book of whose fashion sketches Franklin had gotten recently. One of them was a silk knitting bag, and he wanted someone to make one.
Now, i sort of did a bad job, also, it's so NOT made of silk, but it's a good start, and i may make it again and this time with more effort. But now, For Franklin, i give you, how to make that bag!

The original blog post is here.

I started with a piece of slippery fabric, whihc was aprox. 14x12.5 inches




I folded it in half, and sewed it together, right sides together.


Then I flipped it inside out, so that it was...right side out. Yes.




I then took a piece of cardboard, and cut it to fit the material at the bottom (not sure how big that was)
I then started to slowly hot glue the material to the sides of the cardboard.





Once I got all the way around, I flipped it inside out again, and, taking my ruler, sorta laid it on my hand with the ruler on top, and marked with a pen about an inch apart, all the way down (and make sure it's an even number of dots.)  Repeat at each of the four corners.



And it seems I stopped taking pictures there, but basically what I did was take all those marks and cut a small hole at each of them, then, gluing in my ribbons on the inside first, I laced up through the holes.


Now, if I'd make it again, i'd like to make it a) bigger, b) out of real silk, because unless i suppose you iron them (I didn't) the folds don't really stay, c) longer ribbon handles (as this was just a rough draft i didn't really bother), 4)not out of hot glue, e) and maybe grommits or buttonholes instead of just slits in the fabric.


I know this isn't probably what you expected Franklin, but I still think it came out alright.