Friday, January 17, 2014

Erte, Franklin, and sewing.


So a while ago I was reading Franklin Habit's blog The Panopticon, and it was a certain post about some things and Erte, a book of whose fashion sketches Franklin had gotten recently. One of them was a silk knitting bag, and he wanted someone to make one.
Now, i sort of did a bad job, also, it's so NOT made of silk, but it's a good start, and i may make it again and this time with more effort. But now, For Franklin, i give you, how to make that bag!

The original blog post is here.

I started with a piece of slippery fabric, whihc was aprox. 14x12.5 inches




I folded it in half, and sewed it together, right sides together.


Then I flipped it inside out, so that it was...right side out. Yes.




I then took a piece of cardboard, and cut it to fit the material at the bottom (not sure how big that was)
I then started to slowly hot glue the material to the sides of the cardboard.





Once I got all the way around, I flipped it inside out again, and, taking my ruler, sorta laid it on my hand with the ruler on top, and marked with a pen about an inch apart, all the way down (and make sure it's an even number of dots.)  Repeat at each of the four corners.



And it seems I stopped taking pictures there, but basically what I did was take all those marks and cut a small hole at each of them, then, gluing in my ribbons on the inside first, I laced up through the holes.


Now, if I'd make it again, i'd like to make it a) bigger, b) out of real silk, because unless i suppose you iron them (I didn't) the folds don't really stay, c) longer ribbon handles (as this was just a rough draft i didn't really bother), 4)not out of hot glue, e) and maybe grommits or buttonholes instead of just slits in the fabric.


I know this isn't probably what you expected Franklin, but I still think it came out alright.



1 comment: